Are you shopping for plastic surgery?
When selecting your surgeon, you should not choose one only on cost alone. It is critical that you choose a surgeon who is fully qualified to perform your plastic or cosmetic surgery procedure. To ensure that you are placing your body in the hands of a surgeon you can trust, find a physician who:
- Is board certified. It is absolutely critical that any surgeon performing a plastic surgery procedure be board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This means that your surgeon has the necessary training and experience to perform such procedures.
- Is a member of the ASPS. If your surgeon is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery, you know that he or she is board certified, has had at least six years of surgical experience, has had at least three years of training and experience specifically in plastic surgery, and undergoes continuing education in the field.
- Has hospital privileges. Your surgeon should also have hospital privileges. Not having hospital privileges is a red flag because hospitals perform background checks on all physicians who have privileges at their facility.
- Practices at an accredited facility. In addition to having privileges at a nearby hospital, your surgeon should also practice at a facility that is accredited for surgery. A facility that is not accredited is another major red flag.
- Has a clean record. Before choosing a surgeon, ensure that you check his or her record. Steer clear of surgeons who have malpractice suits or other red flags in their history.
- Has the right experience. Last but not least, ask your surgeon about his or her experience in cosmetic surgery. A surgeon you can trust will have performed your plastic surgery procedure many times before with successful results.
Dr. Whetstone of Las Colinas Centre for Plastic Surgery is a board certified physician with the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Call today at (972) 831-8822 to learn more about our procedures.