After pregnancy, many women find it difficult to return to their pre-pregnancy bodies through diet and exercise alone. A growing number of these women are undergoing the mommy makeover, a combination of cosmetic surgery procedures that allow women who have given birth to get their bodies back. Mommy makeovers include procedures such as breast implants, breast reduction, and abdominoplasty. However, you should only undergo a mommy makeover if you meet certain criteria.
- You’ve tried diet & exercise. A mommy makeover is not a substitute for diet and exercise. Experts suggest that before you get your mommy makeover, you should develop an exercise regimen of at least 30 minutes per day.
- You’ve been at your goal weight for 6 months. Because mommy makeovers are not weight loss procedures, you should also have been at your goal weight for at least six months before you seek surgery.
- You’ve stopped breast-feeding for 6 months. New moms also need to have finished breast-feeding for at least six months, as your breasts will change in shape and size after they stop producing milk. This can affect the results of your breast implants or reduction.
- You’re done having children. While you can successfully complete another pregnancy after undergoing a mommy makeover, you may need follow-up procedures. Plan your mommy makeover for when you are finished having children.
- You don’t smoke or drink excessively. Drinking more than 2-3 alcoholic beverages per week and smoking cigarettes can negatively affect the outcome of your mommy makeover.
- You have a support system. Because a mommy makeover involves cosmetic surgery, you will need time to recover afterwards. Ensure that you and your family are prepared for the time that you will need to take off after surgery.
If you are interested in a mommy makeover, call Las Colinas Centre for Plastic Surgery today at (972) 831-8822.